Dhurries are exquisite examples of flat-weavings that can last generations. Many dhurries (also spelled durries) come from India where rug weaving and knotting has a strong tradition. We provide professional dhurrie (durry) cleaning services to help our clients preserve and care for their dhurrie rugs.
It is important to professionally clean your dhurries on a regular basis. How often you do so depends on many factors (including whether you have pets or have your dhurrie in a high traffic area). On average, most people should professionally clean their dhurries once every two years.
Our dhurrie cleaning process involves safe and traditional techniques, including:
- First, we assess the dhurrie based on its condition. Antique and old dhurries generally are more sensitive and are more susceptible to damage during the cleaning process. It is important to examine each piece so as to ensure minimizing the risk of damage to each dhurrie.
- Next, we examine whether the dhurries have had any restoration or repairs and also look to see if there are any damaged areas. If so, we take steps to try to minimize the risk of any further damage.
- We remove as much dust and particles from the dhurrie as possible using special vacuum cleaners.
- We test each dhurrie for color fastness. If the colors are particularly suspectible to color run, we have to use special methods to clean the dhurrie. Although there is no way to eliminate the risk of color-run completely, there are steps we take to minimize the risk.
- If the dhurrie is relatively color-fast, we soak it in a pool in the next phase of the cleaning process.
- If the dhurrie smells or has a pet odor, we will neutralize the smell or odor using natural materials that will not damage the dhurrie.
- We brush the dhurrie to remove any embedded dust particles.
- We allow the dhurrie to dry while taking steps to minimize the risk of shrinkage and fiber curling.
Please contact us if you would like to learn more about our professional dhurrie cleaning process.